Monday, March 23, 2009

April 15th Networking Event with Student Designer Tera Bacon

FGI Seattle will be showcasing a new, local student designer at our next Networking Night on April 15, 2009 at 24 Seven Talent in Seattle. We caught up with Tera Bacon to get the scoop on who she is, what she designs, and who she designs for. Read the details below:

FGI Seattle: When did you realize you wanted to be a fashion designer?

Tera: An interest in Fashion design came at a very early age for me. When I was little I would steal white cotton shop rags from my parent’s painting company and hand sew outfits for my friends and myself in my back yard play fort. I would make mini skirts, tube tops and even accessories. I made full length gloves by tracing my hand and lower arm. I even ripped down my white lace curtains in my fort to use as veils. This was all done for the iconic 1980’s Madonna look.

FGI Seattle: Who inspires you? What designers do you look up to and why?

Tera: I’m mostly inspired by high fashion designers such as Alexander McQueen, John Galliano for Christian Dior, and Valentino. I look to John Galliano couture when I have a designer’s block. It usually doesn’t take me long to get inspired and pumped up to sketch out some ideas. The classic beauty of these designers’ ready to wear collections have trends that I like to emulate when designing women’s career wear. I love the classic look of a tailored jacket over a simple two piece look.

FGI Seattle: What is your design aesthetic?

Tera: I would say my design aesthetic is mostly commercial. I want to create looks that real women would wear and feel comfortable and confident in from day to day. My looks are usually fitted so using plush fabrics like silk and stretch cottons are a must. I would like to say my looks are sexy not because of skin exposure but because of figure flattering shapes.

FGI Seattle: What garment are you most proud of and why?

Tera: I am most proud of my red dress that I made for Fashion Group International’s Project Red Dress. We were given a budget of $200 from Pacific Fabrics and 16 hours to complete, from scratch, our design. Being one of 10 student designers picked from local fashion schools was an honor in itself. My red dress was the first gown that I had ever sketched let alone made, so I faced many challenges in this competition. This project not only challenged my sewing skills but my ability to cope with extreme pressure. The payoff was well worth it; the event was so beautiful. My model Beth Knierim looked amazing with her entire look put together with the help from Gene Juarez.

FGI Seattle: In three words how would you describe yourself as a designer?

Tera: Ready to wear

FGI Seattle: What music do you listen to to help motivate you when working?

Tera: Music is the least tasteful thing about me. I mostly listen to Rap and Hard Rock; anything to get me amped throughout my day.

FGI Seattle: What celebrity would you like to design for? Why? And, what would the garment look like?

Tera: Well, since I am a huge Battlestar Galactica fan I would love to dress any of the female cast members for the red carpet. I would love to see the statuesque Six, Tricia Helfer, in my red dress at an event.

FGI Seattle: Thanks Tera! We are looking forward to seeing some of your gowns up close and personal at the 4.15.09 FGI Seattle Networking Night!

Tera: Thanks! I’m excited!

Event Details: On April 15 at 24/7 (1525 4th Avenue, Suite #200) we will be having an FGI networking event and student designer showcase from 6:30 to 8pm, with the student showcase at 7pm. The student designer being featured is Tera Bacon. This will be a great opportunity to network and check out some new designs!

Cost: $10 for members and $ 15 for none members

No comments: