Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Bob Mackie and More...

Tonight I was invited by my friend, and FGI cohort, Courtney Russell of Half Past Lavish Events to attend the Spotlight Night for "Catch Me If You Can" at the 5th Ave Theater in Seattle.

I wasn't sure what to expect because I had no idea they did these spotlight events and wasn't sure what they entailed. Plus, it's free so I was even more baffled.

However, I am really happy I went because they introduce you to the people who have come up with the idea, or in this case have taken a story and made it into a musical. I saw the movie and really did enjoy it so I can only imagine I'll feel the same way about the play. We did get to hear a few songs from the performance and I must say they sounded amazing.

Infamous fashion and costume designer Bob Mackie is doing all of the costumes for the musical and they even showed us some of his sketchers... They were awesome! One thing I wish would have happened - more conversation with Bob Mackie. I would have liked it if more questions would have been asked of him, especially about the costumes. Oh well... I'll just have to go see them myself!

If this show takes off it will be another win for Seattle (Hello, Hairspray!) as it is being started here. It will be showing July 23rd - August 16th. I can't wait - the guy who plays Frank Abagnale Jr. (Aaron Tveit) is just a cutie and has an amazing voice. As you can see by the picture I have posted for you - A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!


Here is how the evening was broken down:

Act 1
The Incredible True Story

Catch Me If You Can is inspired by the real life story of teenage con man Frank Abagnale who lived the high life during the swinging ‘60s by successfully posing as a Pan Am pilot, a doctor, and lawyer while passing millions of dollars in forged checks. David Armstrong will recount Frank’s amazing journey and bring us up-to-date on Frank’s true crime adventures on both sides of the law.
Special Guest – Ken Kirkpatrick, President of US BANK

Act 2
Meet the Dream Team

Catch Me If You Can’s creative team is an extraordinary collection of Tony Award-winning artists. Songwriters Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (Hairspray), playwright Terrence McNally (The Full Monty), director Jack O’Brien (Hairspray), choreographer Jerry Mitchell (Hairspray, Legally Blonde), musical director John McDaniel and legendary costume designer Bob Mackie will give you an inside look into their creative process and show us how a Broadway musical is conceived and created – from page to stage!

Act 3
Meet the Stars

Catch Me If You Can features a remarkable company of actors from New York and Seattle and led by some of Broadway’s brightest lights. Meet three of our show’s leading men: Tony Award-winning star Norbert Leo Butz, exciting Broadway newcomer Aaron Tveit and Broadway and television star Tom Wopat. You will also be the first audience anywhere to hear songs from the brilliant ‘60s pop-infused score!

Featuring Musical Performances by Marc Shaiman, Norbert Leo Butz, Aaron Tveit and Tom Wopat.


Ok, so go tell some friends and let's all meet at the theater in July! Who's with me?!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Tarah, this was so fun last night! I wanted more stage time for Bob Mackie too, but I'm dying to see his costumes now...maybe they were being allusive on purpose ; ) Go Seattle Theatre, Go Bob Mackie!!! :)

-Courtney, FGI Seattle